WHAT IS THE MEANING OF SPIRITUAL
By Dr. Lawrence Wilson
© June 2018, LD Wilson Consultants, Inc.
All information in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not for the diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure of any disease or health condition.
"… The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
However, spiritual also means power (se below). Many people think that spiritual only means religious, high-minded, high integrity or something similar. However, spiritual means close to God, or close to one’s Creator. That is the simple meaning of spiritual.
WHAT DOES CLOSE TO GOD MEAN?
Close to God means that your mind remains at a level of maturity and wisdom that is quite high at all times. This is not easy for most people. They often dip down in their mental functioning and think about physical matters such as meals, friends, sex, violence, going places and much more.
Close to God also means that you think in a certain way. You always must think as your Creator would think if you are to be spiritual. This is not the standard thinking. It is not taught much in schools, nor is it taught much even in most churches and synagogues.
WHAT IS THE THINKING OF GOD?
They can be summarized in four main ideas:
1. The idea of abundance, first and foremost.
2. The idea of love.
3. The idea that all things are possible.
4. The idea that all is well.
These are the main ideas that the Creator holds in his mind at all times. So if you want to be spiritual, you must hold these ideas in your mind at all times.
WHAT DOES SPIRITUALITY LOOK LIKE IN PRACTICAL TERMS?
Those who are really spiritual demonstrate the following qualities:
1. Humility. They are not arrogant or egotistical. They treat everyone equally and respectfully. They do not hold grudges or have prejudices, even if they disagree with the points of view of the others on many issues.
2. Honest. This is not a difficult quality to develop, but it is fairly rare on earth. Honesty means being truthful with oneself, as well as with others. It is related to integrity, which means that one’s entire life fits together well and is coordinated or integrated.
3. Open-minded or broad-minded. This means they think big and think widely. They are not petty, nit-picking, or legalistic (meaning more concerned with words than with actions).
4. Forthright or direct. This means that one does not have so-called hidden agendas or secret desires that one is not talking about. If you want to discuss something, then bring it up.
5. Powerful or effective. This is the other quality of real spirituality. It is a quality that is often not discussed, but is nevertheless true and quite important. It is not enough to be kind, nice, and thoughtful.
Power does not mean power over others, although it might mean that. Power here means effective or able to achieve something.
SPIRITUALITY AND DEVELOPMENT
7. Open-minded or broad-minded
9. Likes the 10 commandments of Moses
10. Careful or meticulous
SPIRITUAL VERSUS RELIGIOUS