ORGANIC BRAIN SYNDROME
by Dr. Lawrence Wilson
© September 2018, L.D. Wilson Consultants, Inc.
All information in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not for the diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure of any disease or health condition.
DEFINITION OF ORGANIC BRAIN SYNDROME
Organic brain syndrome is any brain disorder in which the cause is a physical or physiological problem with the brain, rather than a psychological cause. Organic brain syndrome, in varying degrees, is extremely common today. Medical treatment is not too effective with organic brain syndromes.
Other names. Organic brain syndrome may be called:
- Organic brain disease or disorder.
- Organic mental disease or disorder.
- Organic mental syndrome.
These can range from mild brain fog, memory impairment and other cognitive difficulties to very serious cognitive problems and other physical symptoms.
Autism is a type of organic brain syndrome, in our view.
Children and adults may also have a short attention span, ADD, or ADHD. They may also experience constipation, yeast problems, infections, and/or dehydration.
CAUSES OF ORGANIC BRAIN SYNDROME
We have a lot of experience with this condition. In our experience, almost all cases are caused by nutritional deficiencies, toxic metal poisoning and other biochemical imbalances. Even dehydration can help produce this syndrome.
TESTING FOR ORGANIC BRAIN SYNDROME
Standard blood and urine tests are often normal. The appearance of the brain on an MRI may or may not be normal. Brain activity, as measured by an electroencephalogram (EEG), is usually underactive. Genetic testing is often normal.
If the syndrome involves a child, he or she may or may not speak and walk normally. Markers for growth and weight may be normal.
COMMON FINDINGS ON HAIR MINERAL TESTS
Hair mineral testing is excellent to identify causes of organic brain syndrome. Common findings are:
- Elevated levels of copper, iron, manganese, aluminum, lead or other toxic metals.
- Poor eliminator patterns. These are very low readings of one or more toxic metals and certain physiological minerals.
- Four lows pattern and often a slow oxidation rate in a young child. This is unusual.
- Low sodium/potassium ratio is possible.
- Normal zinc and phosphorus levels.
- Low thyroid and adrenal indicators are often present. This is also unusual in a young child.
NUTRIENT DEFICIENCIES AS A CAUSE
This cause of organic brain syndrome is much overlooked. In our experience, it is always part of the problem. However, just “eating well” usually will not correct the condition. A special program is required to balance body chemistry, replenish nutrients in the proper way, and also detoxify the body at the same time.
TOXIC METALS AS A CAUSE OF BRAIN SYNDROMES
If one reviews the medical literature about organic brain syndrome, many causes are listed such as infections, reduced oxygen to the brain, head trauma, arteriosclerosis or other circulatory conditions and more. However, what is often missing is the effect of toxic metals.
We recently reviewed a case of a seven-year-old girl with an organic brain syndrome. A hair test revealed toxicity with aluminum, as well as manganese, copper, and iron.
The presence of toxic metals and chemicals cannot be assessed with an MRI or other scan. Blood tests are also useless for this purpose. A hair mineral test, however, most often will indicate either an elevated level of one or more toxic metals, or it will reveal one or more Poor Eliminator patterns. In fact, toxic metals are usually involved in organic brain sydromes.
HOW METALS AND TOXIC CHEMICALS CAN CAUSE ORGANIC BRAIN SYNDROME
The main mechanisms include:
1. Oxidant damage. Many people have excessive levels of oxides of aluminum, iron, manganese, copper, boron, selenium, chromium, lithium, molybdenum, vanadium and other metals. These can accumulate in the brain, and they cause serious oxidant damage. For more on this important topic, read The Amigos – Aluminum, Iron and Manganese.
2. Short-circuiting the brain. Many metals such as mercury, iron, manganese, aluminum and copper, are excellent electrical conductors. They can upset neuronal function by essentially causing short circuits. This is not critical if it only affects a few neurons. However, if the amount of the metals is high enough, and if it affects critical areas such as the frontal lobe or cortex of the brain, then significant damage can occur.
3. Other mechanisms. The metals can form many compounds, can replace vital minerals in various enzyme systems in the brain. Many chemicals irritate the nervous system by many mechanisms.
Also, they weaken the tissues and may increase the person’s susceptibility to various types of infections. For example, copper toxicity increases the risk of yeast and fungal infections. Iron increases the risk of bacterial infections. Copper and mercury actually inhibit certain micro-organisms, but may open the body to invasion by others.
Toxic metals can also weaken the vasculature of the brain and even lead to hardening and/or sclerosis of the brain. Cadmium, for example, is notorious for this effect. Copper also has weakening effect upon connective tissue, which includes the arteries and veins of the body.
These mechanisms become very complex. Fortunately, removing the toxic metals and renourishing and balancing the body reduces these damaging influences.
PROGNOSIS AND CORRECTION PROCEDURES
A development program is the most powerful method I am aware of to eliminate toxic metals and toxic forms of vital minerals from the brain. It is much better than chelation, for example.
Full correction is possible, and the degree of correct depends on the age of the person, the vitality level, and how well the person follows a complete program - the diet, lifestyle, nutritional supplements and detoxification protocols.
Steps to possible alleviation of symptoms or even correction of the defect. Correction consists of several elements:
1. Removal of the toxic metals as rapidly and as thoroughly as possible.
2. Replacing dozens of minerals and vitamins in the body, replacing the toxic metals with the correct nutrient minerals for the brain and nervous system.
3. Balancing the major mineral levels and ratios in the hair to increase vitality. Without this step, the other two are always much less effective, no matter what methods are used to accomplish them.
4. Making the body more yang in macrobiotic terms. This has many beneficial effects such as improving detoxification of the metals, increasing vitality and others. Toxic metals make the body yin, as do some nutrient deficiencies. Correction of yin excess is done with diet, more rest and other methods.
Sauna therapy and coffee enemas. These are helpful in these cases, and should always be part of a complete program. Children who are five years old and older can use a sauna for about 10 minutes daily or even more. A parent needs to be present with the child and the child must drink plenty of water and should sweat well. If the child stops sweating, end the sauna session at once.
Chelation therapy. We do not need or recommend chelation therapy, although it may help some children.
Balancing the body and renourishing the body will cause the removal of toxic metals more safely and more deeply than chelation, in our experience. The dangers of chelation are:
1) Removing some vital minerals along with the toxic ones. This cannot be avoided, even by using only natural chelators such as cilantro extract, chlorella, bugleweed, yellow dock, zeolite and other common products. One can supplement minerals, but this is a shotgun approach that is not reliable.
2) Toxicity of the chelating agent itself. In some cases, this is a major problem such as the use of Deferoxamine for iron and aluminum.
3) Removal of the metals too fast or in an improper order. With a development program, the metals and perhaps toxic chemicals as well are removed from the brain in the body’s own order. This is much safer and usually more effective as well.
5) Most chelators do not penetrate well into brain tissue. Since this is the location of the problem, this reduces their effectiveness. For more details, read Chelation Therapy.