DENTAL BRACES CAN CAUSE NICKEL TOXICITY
by Dr. Lawrence Wilson
© April 2019, LD Wilson Consultants, Inc.
All information in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not for the diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure of any disease or health condition.
A number of young people have reported to us that their health became worse after they wore dental braces for several years. Their hair mineral tests all revealed elevated levels of nickel, a very toxic metal.
Indeed, it appears that nickel alloys are used in some dental braces, or perhaps in all metal braces. (Some dental braces are made of plastic today.)
Nickel is inexpensive and malleable, qualities that make it ideal for dental wires and perhaps other dental uses.
The problem is much worse in anyone who does not eat a diet high in cooked vegetables and other high quality foods. The reason is that vital minerals in cooked vegetables compete for absorption with toxic metals. The vital nutrients also help the body remove nickel and other poisons. Unfortunately, the diets of most young people are terrible!
NICKEL, AN EXTREMELY TOXIC METAL
Nickel is unfortunately an extremely toxic metal that has does not belong inside oneÕs mouth or anywhere else in the body. It is associated with feelings of anger, rage, depression and even suicidal thoughts. It can also affect the kidneys, the lungs, digestion and other body functions. Even small amounts of nickel in the body can be extremely toxic.
Other possible sources of nickel include:
- Wearing nickel-plated jewelry, or costume jewelry. Nickel plating looks like silver, so jewelry is often made this way.
- Rooibos tea, also called red tea.
- Consuming hydrogenated oils found in commercial peanut butter, all margarines, Crisco, vegetable shortening, candies and many refined food products.
- Smoking cigarettes.
- Handling or breathing fumes of metal, especially steel, which contains nickel. Occupations such as metal-working, welding, construction, electrical work and other may be provide sources of nickel.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE ELEVATED NICKEL
A development program will remove nickel from the body, in all cases. In our experience, this is the best method to remove it. We do not recommend chelation therapy because it always removes some vital minerals along with the toxic ones. For details, read Chelation.
Also, reduce your exposure to nickel by removing braces, avoiding hydrogenated oils and cigarettes, and do not wear nickel-plated jewelry if possible. This is sometimes called costume jewelry.
If you must wear nickel-plated jewelry, then first take off the jewelry and coat it with clear polyurethane varnish on any area that will touch your skin. Do this outside so you wonÕt get poisoned by the fumes of the varnish. You could coat it with clear nail polish, but this is even more toxic and best avoided altogether.
Revarnish it once a year or so, as the varnish will wear off. For more details, read Nickel.