AN OZONATOR/IONIZER AIR PURIFIER TO ENHANCE YOUR OXYGEN INTAKE
by Lawrence Wilson, MD
updated April 1, 2013
A common type of air purifier called an ozonator/ionizer air purifier can be used in a special way to add extra oxygen to your body. It is a wonderful and simple way to enhance your health. I highly recommend it as part of every nutritional balancing program. Most people tolerate the ozone very well. A few have lung irritation from it, but in almost all instances, they solve this by just turning the ozone level down on the machine.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The air ozonator/ionizer that I recommend is a small machine that converts some of the oxygen in the room (O2) to ozone or O3. This is a less stable form of oxygen, but one that our bodies can utilize.
As the machine converts some of the oxygen in the room to ozone, more oxygen from other rooms or the outside is drawn into the bedroom to maintain the normal oxygen content of the air. This means that the total oxygen content of the room increases to a significant degree as a combination of 02 and 03.
By breathing this all night every night, you will significantly increase the amount of oxygen getting into your body. This is the basic idea of using this machine in your bedroom while you sleep.
You can also leave the machine on all day, and it will clean and help oxygenate the air in your bedroom and entire home all day, as well.
USING THE AIR PURIFIER TO INCREASE OXYGEN IN THE BODY
The manufacturer of the ozone air purifier will suggest placing the machine in the middle of the home. However, to obtain the most oxygen possible requires a different placement of the machine. For the best effect, do the following:
1. Place the air machine in your bedroom. This way, during the night while asleep, you will breathe a significant amount of extra oxygen. Most people breathe the deepest while they sleep. This is one reason why people snore, as they are breathing heavily.
2. Place the air machine high up, such as on a shelf or book case high off the ground. This helps circulate the ozone better.
3. Turn the ozone control of the machine to about halfway or so, and maybe less if you find it irritating. This will usually be plenty of ozone. If you turn it up too much, you may not like the smell of the ozone, which has a slightly acrid smell for some people. It can also be a little irritating.
4. Turn the fan control to a low setting if you wish. This way it wonÕt make too much noise that might interfere with sleep. A higher fan speed is fine, however.
NOTE: This is different from the instructions that come with most ozonator/ionizer air machines. They usually do not recommend placing the unit in the bedroom. However, their instructions are designed for the use of the machine mainly remove cigarette and other odors from the home. Ozone and negative ions are great for this purpose. Some hospitals use ozone to purify the air. In fact, some nations purify their water supply with ozone, a much better system than using chlorine or bromine, as is done in the United States.
However, with a nutritional balancing program, this machine is used to increase oxygenation of the body, mainly at night while sleeping. That is why placing the machine in the bedroom is best.
ARE THERE ANY PROBLEMS WITH USING AN OZONE PURIFIER IN THIS WAY?
The only problems we have encountered are:
1. Smell. Ozone has a slightly acrid, fresh smell. Most people hardly notice it. Some people, however, do not like the smell. Turn the machine down a little if it really bothers you. However, it is very helpful for most people, as explained above, so if possible put up with the odor.
2. Healing reactions. Rarely, someone reports that the machine causes a little lung irritation. In all of these cases, so far, this is actually a healing reaction. The person has a slight chronic bronchial infection and the ozone plus extra oxygen begins a healing reaction in the bronchial tubes that will cause you to cough or feel some irritation. It tends to go away after a short time.
The extra oxygen will also heal other infections in your body. One client reported that the first night she used the machine she awoke in the morning and her eyes were puffy. Most likely this was a healing reaction. The problem went away in one day, and she has had no further problems.
3. Sensitivity to ozone. It is possible that someone could be sensitive to ozone, but I have not seen it. If your lungs are irritated by the ozone, you can just decrease the ozone level a little bit. Most people who are sensitive to ozone, which are very few, develop a tolerance for the machine within a few days.
Dangers of ozone. I am aware of the dangers of ozone, and that the state of California does not permit the sale of ozonators in California because they claim they are somehow dangerous.
The reason we may not have any problem with these machines, even with people with asthma, may be due to their design, or may be due to the fact that anyone on a nutritional balancing program is so well-nourished that it offsets any possible irritation from ozone exposure.
4. Oxidant problems. Ozone is a potent oxidizing agent. This leads some people to think that breathing more ozone will cause oxidant damage to the body. We have not observed this. One reason is that I also recommend a very mineral-rich diet. A diet rich in cooked vegetables will be very rich in natural anti-oxidants that protect the body from oxidant damage.
5. Sensitivity of some types of rubber to ozone. Ozone will eventually degrade some types of rubber. I have not found this to be a problem in the bedroom, as most people do not keep rubber products there.
OTHER BENEFITS - NEGATIVE IONS ALSO HELPFUL FOR HEALING
Negative ions are negatively charged electrons. The ozonator/ionizer machine also produces them. When they combine with dust and dirt in the home, the negative charge of the ions causes the dirt and other particles to fall to the floor so they do not float in the air.
This is another excellent benefit of this machine. It is another way to purify the air in home without needing a filter. The negative ions and the ozone make an excellent combination to clean up the air in the home.
Extra negative ions are helpful for all indoor environments. The reason is that while they are produced naturally out of doors, they are destroyed rather quickly indoors due to contact with metallic air ducts, electrical devices and more. For this reason, most indoor air is low in negative ions. It does not matter if one lives in the city or in the rural areas.
The healing properties of negative ions. Many studies show that negative ions have subtle positive effects upon our bodies that are not well understood. They appear to help relax the nervous system, improve mood, and have other benefits as well.
OTHER USES FOR THE AIR MACHINE
The machine I recommend comes with a filter that removes some dust and smaller particles from the air. Ozone also kills bacteria and mold spores. The combination of ozone, negative ions, and air filtration makes these machines very attractive for most people, and very cost-effective as well.
OTHER USES FOR OZONATOR/IONIZER MACHINES
An ozonator/ionizer machine has many other fascinating uses that can make owning one very worthwhile. Among the most important are:
1. Fumigating and disinfecting your entire house, or a room, an automobile, or perhaps air ducts. For example, if one has had a flood or mold problem, leaving the unit closed up in the room or area for a week or more can kill mold without the need for chemicals that are often as toxic as the mold itself.
In a sickroom or hospital, running the machine will help disinfect everything in the room, including equipment, to reduce the possibility of spreading germs from one person to another. Ozone will gently penetrate into all cracks and crevices in the room, even under sheets and blankets, to help kill germs of all kinds.
One can literally fumigate the room in a totally harmless way by locking the machine in a room and turning it up to full strength and leaving it there for a few days, if needed. People and animals should stay out of the room during this time, as the ozone level will be too high for comfort. Similarly, one can fumigate an automobile or any other similar space by simply setting up the machine and letting it run in the area for a day or more.
I have used this machine to get rid of new car odors, pet odors, formaldehyde odor in new furniture, new carpeting odor and other types of chemical smells. The ozone is excellent because it gently penetrates deeply into synthetic fabrics and other odor-causing materials. This is much better than covering up odors with chemical scents. The ozone actually breaks down the chemicals and when the job is done, no chemical residue from the ozone remains.
2. In theory, the machine could be used to generate ozone that could be added to a sauna, to drinking water, to a hot tub or bath, or for other purposes. Ozone is a fascinating substance to oxygenate the body, deodorize and kill all manner of germs, and for other purposes.
The machine we recommend is not designed for these extra purposes, but it could be adapted, if needed, by simply placing a large funnel over the front of the machine.
PURCHASING AN OZONATOR/IONIZER MACHINE
To order an Atlas 300A ozonator/ionizer unit, click here. Several companies offer similar machines, if you prefer another brand. This one is fine and the price is one of the best I have seen.
1. Filter. The air filter in the back of the unit must be washed out in plain water once a month or so, in most cases, to keep it functioning properly. It is easy to remove by loosening a few screws. I am told not to wash the filter with soap, as it might clog it. Just use plain water.
2. Ozone plates. Ozone is produced in these machines with one or two ceramic plates with a wire screen attached to them. These plates must be removed and cleaned with simple water and soap every few months, as they will build up some dust and dirt, and can stop functioning properly. To remove them, first remove the air filter. Then gently pull out the plates to clean them. Be sure to return them to the unit in exactly the same way they were removed. In a few years, the ceramic plates may begin to crack and can be replaced inexpensively.
3. General dusting. Because the machines produce a lot of negative ions, they might attract some dust and dirt. Periodically check and dust off the machine or wash the case with a little water and soap, as needed.