HAVE YOUR COMPUTER READ TO YOU
by Dr. Lawrence Wilson
© October 2019, LD Wilson Consultants, Inc.
All information in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not for the diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure of any disease or health condition.
All computers, we believe, can be set up to read to you so that you do not need to stare at a computer screen for hours or strain your eyes. It is especially good for auditory learners, but can benefit everyone, as it is very relaxing and easy to do.
The procedure is called TEXT-TO-SPEECH. Here are instructions:
On a MAC computer:
1. Click on the Apple icon at the top left of your screen.
2. Click on System Preferences.
3. Click on ‘Speech’.
4. When the Speech screen opens, click on Text-To-Speech at the top of the window.
5. You will need to set up a key to start and stop the text-to-speech activity and you will need to pick out a voice to read to you. You will also set up the speed at which the computer will read to you.
6. When this is done, close the System Preferences window and you are ready to go. Any article or email that you wish to have read to you, select the text and then press the key you have set up to begin having it read to you. Press it again and it will stop.
On a WINDOWS computer:
1. You will need to purchase or download a text-to-speech program. There are several.
2. Follow the instructions to set up the text-to-speech procedure.