PEANUTS AND PEANUT BUTTER - PLEASE AVOID THEM
by Dr. Lawrence Wilson
© February 2013, L.D. Wilson Consultants, Inc.
All information in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not for the diagnosis, treatment, prescription or cure of any disease or health condition.
I know that many people love peanuts and peanut butter. However, peanuts, in my experience, even organically grown peanuts, are somewhat toxic. Please avoid them altogether. They will slow your progress, perhaps a lot if you eat a lot of peanut butter, or peanuts as a snack.
REASONS FOR PEANUT TOXICITY
Peanuts are prone to several types of toxicity. One is aflatoxin. This is a potent, colorless, tasteless fungal poison that tends to grow on some peanut products. It is found mainly in some peanut butters, especially if it is not fresh. However, peanuts are not recommended, even if you know there is no aflatoxin on them.
Another toxin is one found in many legumes, in fact. This is one reason I recommend legumes or beans only once or twice per week. I do not know what the toxin is, but it is found in most beans, lentils (especially yellow and red lentils), and there is even some in peas, which is a legume, too. Peanuts, especially when roasted, seem to contain a lot of it.
A third toxin, at times, can be rancid oil in which peanuts are roasted. Even dry roasted peanuts have had their oil heated to a high temperature, which may affect its digestibility.
A fourth possible toxin, at times, is that some peanuts in a bag or container of nuts are often spoiled or rotten. Peanuts are more subject to this problem than other beans and nuts. You may not be able to taste the rancid or rotten peanuts.
Finally, some people are violently allergic to something in peanuts. I do not know if doctors have identified the exact chemical. Exposure to peanuts or peanut butter for these people can trigger a severe asthma attack or shock reaction.
For all these reasons, please avoid all peanuts, peanut sauces, and peanut butters, even the best quality.